Tracing RFI US style

Discussion in 'Interference Problems' started by Ken G3SDW, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    NK7Z and Kev like this.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

3. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

Hi Ken,
    Thank you for posting the link to this article! I saw a few takers from here, so looked at the thread, and then joined your forms... Here is a link to a few more RFI articles that may be of use in your neck of the woods...

http://nk7z.net/category/info/mitigation-of-rf-interference/

I hope some of your folks find these of interest, and helpful... Good luck, here in the US the FCC is not as effective as it used to be...
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Thanks for the input David from over the pond, most appreciated

Ken G3SDW
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

What is your RFI mostly caused by? Here, in Oregon, it is the lights from Pot growers... They are nasty wide, take out all of 40 meters, for about a mile radius for a normal one...
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Well David of late over here we are having a big problem with Superfast broadband "VDSL" along with LED lighting and Solar PV, also like you grow lights are rearing there head. The manufacturers in the PRC seem to be quite open to the fact that they do cause RFI.

Gone are the days of us causing problems to them but now them causing problems to us. when ask to help us locate the problem they become unhelpful, but when it was us causing them a problem they did not hesitate to knock on our door, no doubt it must be the same in the US.

Ken
    G3SDW
  7. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

Hi,
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the PRC? Most of the lighting RFI here is easily corrected... We use a handout that our Club developed, we actually use it for all RFI. The Club has an RFI committee, (which I chair), and we put together a handout for folks causing RFI, we also help other Amateur Radio Operators locate RFI.

Once the RFI is located, the handout is given to teh resident, or business. The ARRL here requested a copy and I believe they will soon be making it available to all Amateur Radio Operators via the ARRL web page. We give it to the offending person, and it pretty well states who is responsible for what, and what happens if the RFI continues... 95% of the time that ends the RFI in a friendly way, without involving the FCC. 5% of the time the FCC is involved, and that ends 99.9% of what is left.

We also point the vendors for lights at the web site, and tell them that when we find offending RFI generating lights, we recommend to the user that they take them back to the seller and demand a refund... The handouts and the web page are located at:

http://www.valleyradioclub.org/rfi.html

So far this has been working for us over here... I just heard from a friend who has access to vendors, that they tell everyone who is buying lights, to buy RFI quiet lights, due to the "militant" Amateur Radio population in town. It has taken several years to gain that reputation, but it is now helping... My RFI has dropped by 3 or 4 S units over the past two years, with only one FCC involved issue.

Dave
    www.nk7z.net
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Dave, well we do something similar, i am the EMC advice coordinator for the RSGB and take most to the cries for help here in the UK and along with the EMCC who has many different EMC experiences then most things get sorted out, well eventually.
    The PRC is Peoples Republic of China were most things seem to come from these days.

Ken
    G3SDW
  9. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

OMG I knew that, I was thinking it was some sort of UK office for something or other... LOL... Glad your RFI issues get sorted out in the long run... At some point my wife and I will be moving to Arizona, out in the country, away from all of this in Oregon... I hope my RFI levels drop as well... I bet doing what you do for the RSGB is fun, lots of opportunity to locate RFI...
  10. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Yes Dave it is, all done via phone and email, the biggest hurdle is getting cooperation from the owner of the offending equipment.

My advice is always keep your neighbors sweet at all times then the rest is easy.

Good luck with the move, quiet locations are hard to find these days so enjoy them while you can.

Ken
    G3SDW
  11. NK7Z

NK7Z New Member

Thank you Ken... Take care... I will be looking around your board here, looks like a fun place...