Touch sensitve light switches

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by Colin G6MXL, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Well that's what they used to be like so things have not changed.
    Although CE marked then as always does not mean anything.
    Have you tried putting and RF out to see if they trigger?
    I have seen the pictures of them on the JL web site and it's no surprise they are made in China.
    Carry out some tests with RD so that I can give the JL all the details.
  2. Colin G6MXL

Colin G6MXL New Member

3. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Thanks Colin not good considering we are dealing with John Lewis is it.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Colin, i have had this from David Lauder G0SNO who as you know writes the EMC Column in RadCom.

Maybe you could answer his question regarding the lamp being tested, he will be able to do this.

This is what he said...

Compliance with harmonised standards is one route to EMC compliance so if a product meets the limits in the applicable EMC emission standard (EN 55015 in this case) then it is deemed to conform to the Essential Requirements for emissions.

These limits are too high to protect amateur radio reception however so we cannot say whether a product complies with the Essential Requirements based on interference to amateur radio reception. Nevertheless, in this case it sounds like it would be worth testing it against EN55015 to see if it looks likely to comply. Can Colin post it to me but take the glass lamp shade off if it is removable? I can then test it and send it back in a couple of weeks. If he keeps the packaging he could return it unused and in original condition with proof of purchase within 35 days, if he doesn't like it.

In the meantime, Colin could complain that the product causes interference to amateur radio reception (and possibly Radio 4 Long Wave if it does) and it also goes on and off in response to amateur radio transmissions. The second point about immunity is a bit more tricky because it depends on the field strength it is designed to be immune to and what the performance criteria are.
  5. Colin G6MXL

Colin G6MXL New Member

I've posted the one I purchased to David Lauder. Should be with him about 21st November. The real issue is the lamp's lack of immunity to amateur signals (still waiting to agree mutually agreeable time to conduct tests with neighbour). The signals from the lamp whilst very clearly audible on a domestic LW/MW/SW receiver when next to the lamp, were not a major issue even 2m away through a plasterboard wall - so not a major concern in my view.
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Yes been talking to David and he is looking forward to getting his hands on your lamp.

I have heard back from JL with details of the claimed standards the lamps are supposed to conform too.

David now has these and can do his testing to what they claim.

Will be in touch.