Suzuki Grand Vitara model SZ3

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by Jon, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon New Member

I own a Suzuki Grand Vitara SZ3 manufactured in 2012.
    In the manual it states that advice should be sought from the manufacturer before before installing any radio transmitting equipment in the vehicle.
    To date despite a considerable number of emails as well as some follow up telephone calls to Suzuki UK customer support over about a three to four month period I have not yet managed to get any response regarding my enquire about fitting some VHF/ UHF radio equipment into the vehicle. I was originally asked what frequencies and power would be involved but since replying with that information nothing has been heard whatsoever and I find that rather disappointing...
    Has anybody got any experience of fitting radio equipment into a vehicle of that age and model or indeed has anybody ever managed to obtain some installation advice from Suzuki UK customer support on the topic in question please?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Jon / G1OSP.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

3. Jon

Jon New Member

Very many thanks for the vehicle installation document Ken it will be most useful.
    I am just very disappointed that a major manufacturer like Suzuki appears to be unable to respond to a very direct question regarding EMC and radio equipment. You would have thought that as they actually mention in the vehicle manual that advice must be sought from them before fitting radio transmitting equipment that there would be a document on file and available by return that covered the pertinent points? I wonder if they would have responded and better if I had contacted then stating that I wanted to buy a fleet of 50 new vehicles and fit radio equipment into them - or am I just being cynical?
    Anyway as I am naturally optimistic person I live in hope that there is still a possibility during 2017 that I might receive a response from Suzuki UK customer support...
    Bye the way, the actual car is great and I am very happy with it!
    Regards, Jon / G1OSP.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Jon just make sure that you inform your insurance people that you are installing a radio transmitter into your vehicle, this is most important

Ken
    G3SDW
  5. David Gregory

David Gregory Member

I can't imagine why you'd need to contact Suzuki. Just install the radio. The advice in the vehicle's manual will be a generic warning... like the warnings you get on a McDonald's apple pie telling you it's hot :)

Just use the common sense that hopefully came with passing the RAE: Pay attention to current loading, wiring safety (current capacity, insulating, connecting, routing and fusing), and thoroughly test that the equipment does not interfere with the vehicle systems at all operating frequencies and power levels (choke where in doubt) paying particular attention to charging, ECU and lighting etc. before hitting the road. Chances are, anyone at Suzuki you get through to will be pretty clueless about what the risks are, and will probably be warnings about EMC and the vehicle's engine management. I've never felt the need to contact the vehicle manufacturer before installing anything.

As for insurance, that's another matter. That's just an excuse to bump up your premium if you ask me, but then again, badly installed equipment may be a fire hazard, and operating while mobile (while perfectly legal under Road Traffic Act 1988) does add a risk, and while I disagree with the need, I agree with Ken... don't give them the excuse to not pay out because if there is one, they'll use it, even if it was unrelated to the event that led to the claim. "A tree fell on your car sir? I'm sorry, but our inspectors found a radio transmitter installed that you never declared, so we can't honour your claim". :)
    Ken G3SDW likes this.
  6. David Gregory

David Gregory Member

I'll amend that with one caveat though: Air bags. While unlikely to be a problem, be aware that if an air bag deploys when your head is in front of the steering wheel or side air bag location, it can kill you. Test that sat in a normal driving position, or preferably out of the car entirely. Test for problem with engine running too.
    Ken G3SDW likes this.
  7. Jon

Jon New Member

To bring this topic to a conclusion and to thank all of the parties who commented I will take this opportunity to let you know that I finally did receive some information from Suzuki Customer Support after a wait of a good four months or so...
    An email arrived with an attachment containing a three side sided A4 document entitled "Guideline for the installation of after-market radio frequency transmitting equipment". It does make quite interesting reading but the information contained is quite general in nature and basically is what anyone who is following good practice would tend to do in the first place when installing a transceiver.
    Why the document is not available on the Suzuki support website I really do not know and why it took such an inordinately long time to issue the information following my enquire again somewhat baffles me - but there you go...
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

So the burning question Jon is have you installed the rig yet, if so is everything ok?
    Ken
    G3SDW