Sony PS4 Platstation

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by Wes, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Not doing too well am i, try again and search for "free standing iec in line filter"
    Ken
  3. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken, Thanks for the response.

It will be most interesting to hear if ARRL/JARL have dealt with a similar issue and also the case you mentioned that you await more details. Please let me know.

I checked out the Roxburgh site and can confirm that the mains supply to the ps4 comes via one of the recommended mains filters.

As a matter of interest, Only yesterday I discovered that interference I'm getting on 6M (S8 heterodyne pairs every few Khz and a raised noise floor) is coming from a NETGEAR GS208 GigaBit switch located in an upstairs bedroom. It's powered via a linear wall wart. The qrm remains even after disconnecting all data cabling yet,when the device is powered off, the qrm disappears. Elsewhere on the web there are repeated warnings about such switches causing qrm. Has the EMC commitee any experience/recommendations relating to the GS208 in particular or other such data switches?

Thanks to the EMC team for your continued support.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

OK Wes, have also asked your question regarding your Netgear GS208 switch.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  5. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Wes, i have had this suggestion from David Lauder who writes the EMC column in RadCom, he say this...

The Netgear GS208 is a lower cost model in a plastic case. I have a Netgear GS308 in a metal case although I haven't checked it for noise on 50 MHz. If the GS208 is still noisy with the network cables disconnected then it is either radiating directly from the PCB or radiating from the DC power cable.

I suggest trying a clip-on ferrite choke on the DC power cable close to the Netgear GS208. It needs to be a suitable grade of ferrite for VHF and I suggest something like a Maplin Ferrite Clip On HEM3018, Code: N95AB. This is 36 mm long with a 13 mm diameter hole so it has plenty of room for multiple turns of thin DC power cable. One turn gives 120 ohms at 25 MHz, probably 150 at 50 MHz so 3 turns should give 9 times more or 1350 ohms which is quite a useful amount of impedance. I wouldn't recommend more than about 4 or 5 turns at VHF.

If a clip-on ferrite core doesn't help then the network switch would need to be built into a metal box grounded to the negative side of the DC supply. That might help until you start connecting network cables.

David, g0sno

Ken G3SDW

Just an update from David concerning the ferrites...

I made a mistake with the hole diameter of the Maplin clip-on cores. The HEM3018 (N95AB) only has a 6.5 mm diameter hole. That may be large enough in this case if it can take about 4 turns and if the two halves of the core close without the slightest air gap. Alternatively, Maplin HEM3017 (N94AB) has a 10 mm diameter hole but it is a shorter core and it gives less than half the impedance for a single turn so would need about 6 turns.

Maplin don't seem to stock larger clip-on ferrites with 12.5mm or 13 mm diameter hole. I regard these as the mainstay of clip-on ferrites for amateur radio EMC use, for example TDK ZCAT3035-1330, Wurth Elektronik 74271222, Fair-Rite 0443164151 or KEMET ESD-SR-20H5 but these are only available from trade suppliers such as Farnell. Kemet is lower cost than the others.
  6. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken,

I missed your recent responses to my queries. My apologies for not responding. I thought I would get an email saying there was something for me on the forum!! Dav'e point is well made and in fact, we bought a new metal cased gigaswitch which appears a little better in terms of 6M qrm I'll try the filters Dave mentions also.
    Any news/response re the Sony Playstation QRM? That's the problem that is causing the greatest problem.
    Agin, sorry for the delay in my reply.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  7. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

No Wes there has not been any feedback concerning the PS4 other than the ones i have given you.
    What is the situation concerning the advice with ferrites that i gave you in my last post, have you obtained and tried those? because at the end of the day no one will advise internal modification to the PS4. You do need to prove were it is coming and radiated from.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

That should have been- (You do need to prove were it is coming and radiated from)- prove were the RF is getting in, have you tried the sniffer yet?
    Ken
  9. N8YQX

N8YQX New Member

10. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Thanks for posting Yohei, most appreciated