Sony PS4 Platstation

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by Wes, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Wes

Wes New Member

Has anyone experienced and fixed interference to the above?

When I operate on 7 or 10 Mhz, the ps4 throws out any installed gaming disc rendering the player unusable!

There are many thousands of PS4's in use throughout the UK and probably hundreds of thousands in JA so someone somewhere has likely come across the same problem.

I'd be grateful for any information/advice.

Wes.

GW3RIH.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Wes, it would appear that RF is getting into the PS4 at some point so you will need to isolate it by trying different location, running it with it not being connected to the TV it is being used on. Also can you ley us know the location of the PS4 in relation to your antennas and what sort they are, that will do for starters.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  3. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the speedy responseJ.

I’ve tried several things viz: ferrite ring/s on the supply lead, with/without the controller etc. But with no improvement.

The antenna is an asymmetric zepp fed with open wire line via a guanella balun. The feeder is close to the wall of the bedroom containing the ps4. Whilst I can’t be certain of course, I’m confident that the feed to the antenna is well balanced.

My point about the number of ps4’s in use, particularly in Japan and the U.S. where the ham radio operator density must be huge, is that many will likely be suffering the same problem and may have “bullied” Sony into doing something about it!

Have you any reports from JARL/ARRL?

I would be grateful for info’ on any suggested fix’s.

Regards,

Wes.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

You say that you have used feriites, what sort are you using? and how do you connect the machine to the TV? and how far it from the set being used?
    I must admit to not hearing of any other complaints with the PS4. Can you try to use the PS4 in another room to see if the problem is there or not, but rest assured we will get to the bottom of it.

Ken
    G3SDW
  5. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

This will be handy for everyone to read, it tells of the right type of ferrite to use and recommends were to purchase then from.

You just cannot use any old ferrite ring or clamp on, it has to be able to do the job in question

Take a read of this link were it has a host of info` regarding RFI problems and how to solve them.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/in-prac/index.htm#1005

Ken
    G3SDW
  6. Wes

Wes New Member

Ken,

Re the ferrite ring, I can't recall the part number but they are the type RSGB has recommended for many years (40mmX25mmX5mm by Ferroxcube?) Is a better type/mix available?

The ps4 is connected to the TV via a good quality HDMI cable approx 2M long. The ps4 controller is wireless (Interference is present with the controller off/well away from the ps4.)

The mains lead to the ps4 also has a toroid on it (I tried two but with no difference.) Wireless headphones are used, the base unit being driven via a fibre optic cable. There is NO audio interference.

When the ps4 is off/disconnected, there is no interference to the TV.

The ps4 is in my Son's room, integrated (but not connected) with a load of other gear and can't easily be re-located!

To remind you, interference occurs on 7 and 10Mhz.

As I mentioned before, is it possible/permissible for ARRL/JARL to be asked if they have experience of this problem? The density/co-siting of ham radio and ps4 would probably be much greater in those countries hence they may have already found a fix!

Thanks again for your help.
    Wes.

GW3RIH
  7. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

First of all Wes in my honest opinion the ferrites are not good enough for what you are trying to do, they were good in the days when we needed to RF voltages on a TV down lead and maybe in the low voltage supply lead from a power supply.
    I feel that you need to get something better like the red T200-2, you may need two together to make any headway with your problem.
    Using ferrites is going to be the only cure and internal mod`s is not advisable but i will ask the EMCC if they have any contacts with the ARRL/JARL and if so i will make enquiries for you.
    These ferrites are readily available from many outlets, there are quite a few on ebay as well. For the ultimate cure then get some clamp on ones that are in the other post that i put on this thread earlier today, they are quite expensive but well worth it.
    Always here to help.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  8. Wes

Wes New Member

Thanks Ken, I have T200-A2's here and will of course try them but confess to being surprised at the recommendation as I thought they would have too low a permeability to be useful for EMC purposes.

Given the type of cables used in the connectivity of the ps4/TV, are you recommending that I use the T200's on the mains lead to the ps4 or elswhere? Please let me know.

Many thanks for checking with EMCC regarding JARL etc. For sure, someone somewhere has had this problem and fixed it.

Thanks again,

Wes.

GW3RIH.
  9. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Use them on the mains lead and also on the HDMI lead and any lead that you have, belt and braces, as many turns as you can, at the end of the day the ultimate will be the clamp on ferrites that are in the article that i have posted by GM3SEK.

As you say fixing the problem will be other than internal modification, which i do not recommend to use appropriate ferrites

Ken
    G3SDW
  10. Wes

Wes New Member

As it happens, I use the GM3SEK ferrite chokes and have a couple of the specified ferrites to hand and will try those.

Please do let me (and others) know if anything comes from contacting JARL/ARRL.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  11. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

I will Wes and good luck with the ferrites.
    Will be back asap.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  12. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken,
    I installed an FT240-31 ferrite (as recommended on several other forums) plus one of the original RSGB recommended toroids to the mains lead (the FT240 at the input to the ps4 the other close to the mains plug, turns filling half of the toroid so as to avoid coupling of the winding start and finish.) This had no effect at all. Only the mains lead was connected. The interference is present when the ps4 is in both stand-by mode AND actually switched ON. I'll try the GM3SEK recommended ferrites next since I have them too hand. Other than something else that can be done to the mains lead, I guess the RF (7Mhz and 10Mhz ONLY) is getting into the ps4 itself and if so, does this not point out poor design within the ps4 thus breaching some relevant EMC standard/s?Again if so, isn't it almost certain (I hope) that others have experienced the same problem?

I look forward to further advice.
    Thanks for your help Ken.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  13. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

You maybe right but one point raised on the EMCC was that the PS4 has only a plastic case so as an experiment can you try to wrap the unit in tin foil and see what happens, i know you may think this is a negative approach but until we know were the RF is getting in then we will not know what to put in the way to stop it.
    No one on the EMCC has ever had this brought up before and i know you feel that it should have appeared at some point but it would seem not to have.

Try GM3SEK ferrites to see what happens.

When you think of it then it can only be getting in in two places, via the mains lead or just swamping it direct into the case.

One other thing you could try is to make the RF sniffer that GM3SEK mentions to try to pin point were it is getting in, at least you will know so that you can take the necessary action.

Ken
    G3SDW
  14. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken,

Initially I could not get access here so I sent my response to your direct email address. Hope that was OK.

That the ps4 has a plastic case was exactly my point. Given it has a plastic case, could Sony be in breach of relative emc standards since they should have done more to protect the device from external RF fields?
    I plan to build the GM3SEC common mode current detector in the next week or so.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  15. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

I will find out were we stand regarding the case but the main thing for you is to eliminate the problem.

Let us know how you get on regarding finding out were the RF is getting in and if you have any luck with the different ferrites.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  16. Wes

Wes New Member

Thanks. A further line of thought regarding any suggestion that the interference is due to the proximity to the ant' feeder, no other equipment in the room/house is affected.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks again for your help and those involved on the EMC committee.

Wes.
    GW3RIH.
  17. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

18. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Wes, silly question but has the PS4 always had this problem when you go on to 7/10Mhz? has there been a time that it has worked fine with you antennas as they are at the moment?
    Just a thought.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  19. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Wes, i have had a comment regarding your problem, this guy has had the same problem twice and have asked what the outcome was, this is what he has said.

Still ejecting disks..
    In one case the PS4 is in a nearby house so there's not a lot the
    Amateur can can do really without having ownership of any and all
    electrical oddities there for life.

The other one we can look into further, but Choking alone may not be
    enough because there's probably a fair bit of Differential mode RF on
    the mains.
    I'd try one of these, not cheap mind you
    http://www.dem-uk.com/roxburgh/prod...standing_iec_in_line_filter_high_performance/
    Really it's Sony's problem, These are new enough to be under guarantee

Hope this is of some help.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  20. Wes

Wes New Member

Hi Ken, my apologies for not responding sooner, I must have missed the email alert that new forum messages had come in!

No progress this end despite further work with approved toroids. Have you made contact with/had any response from JARL/ARRL?. As you say, for sure it's SONY's problem. Have they had anything to say on the issue?

To confirm, there was NO problem with the earlier model of the playstation and yes, the current problem started as soon as the new ps4 was installed.

The site you suggested could not be accessed??

Regards,

Wes