SMART Meters

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by M6VWM, Oct 18, 2018.

1. M6VWM

M6VWM Member

Afternoon All,

I was chatting with a few folks today about EMC and several of them mentioned that SMART meters are causing a lot of noise. Now considering the smart index on these is essentially a mobile phone based tech I was rather surprised to hear these were causing HF interference.

Is this something that the RSGB have been made aware of? I work in the gas industry and may have some contacts within smart metering (although its not my area of responsibility).

No-one in my street has one (because I have counselled all of them to avoid them until at least SMETS2)

Thanks, Matt.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

There have been not reports of problems with Smart Meters Matt other than a couple that turned out to be the SMPS sullying the display unit.

As you say they use mobile phone technology and as i have said no reported problems, not sure who you have been talking to but i am sure they are no technical in any way.
  3. M6VWM

M6VWM Member

That is what I suspected, I know the tech a little and I know they are actually only online at limited times to report home and then go to sleep again. That is how the battery can last so long. There could be increased network activity due to weak signal problems but even then it would be no different to a mobile phone.

If you get any reports I have a contact within the Smart Meter Operating Group so could probably get you to the right people. I think however it seems unlikely and may be a case of people getting interference and assuming its the meters without any real evidence.
  4. M6VWM

M6VWM Member

That is what I suspected, I know the tech a little and I know they are actually only online at limited times to report home and then go to sleep again. That is how the battery can last so long. There could be increased network activity due to weak signal problems but even then it would be no different to a mobile phone.

If you get any reports I have a contact within the Smart Meter Operating Group so could probably get you to the right people. I think however it seems unlikely and may be a case of people getting interference and assuming its the meters without any real evidence.
  5. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Exactly Matt, when an antenna goes up then they point the finger, when they talk to a neighbour then if they have had a flicker on there TV then oh yes we have it as well, i get it all the time.
    As i said before the only cases i have had is when the SMPS is faulty,non complaint, which is used for the display unit.

Now can you see why i have not got any hair left lol
  6. M6VWM

M6VWM Member