Possible interference with epilepsy mats?

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by Tony Cobb, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Tony Cobb

Tony Cobb New Member

I am working with a Foundation candidate who has learning difficulties & lives in a house run by a local charity. I visit that house weekly to do the training with him & yesterday (14 August 2019) I was talking with him about EMC. One of the charity's staff overheard our conversation & asked if amateur radio transmissions can interfere with the operation of epilepsy mats. I had never heard of an epilepsy mat & did not get much of an idea as to what they are & what they do. Has anyone come across epilepsy mats, had any experience of how they work & any knowledge of possible interference with their operation from HF transmissions?

Thanks.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Tony, i have not heard of anything untoward with these but i think you need to find out what he actually has, from what i have read there are several types and once you know and have identified what he has then i would suggest that you get in touch with the manufacturers of that item and talk to there technical people.

In the past most medical equipment is designed to an extremly high standard so it maybe that there will not be a problem, but take a look here and try to identify what he has. https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/daily-life/safety-aids-equipment/alarms-monitors
    Ken G3SDW
  3. Tony Cobb

Tony Cobb New Member

Hi Ken, Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have passed your advice on to the charity staff member & she is intending to contact the epilepsy mat supplier for advice. I will provide information to this forum once the mat supplier has provided that information.
    Regards,
    Tony G0WJK
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

As long as she understands a bit about the technical side of things and knows what sort of questions to ask, and makes it quite clear that we are not talking about CB as all to often when the word radio is mentioned then CB is assumed, as you know they are two different things entirely.
    Ken G3SDW