New Solar Farm - Getting Ready for the Future...

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by John Rowlands, Mar 2, 2017.

1. John Rowlands

John Rowlands New Member

A very large solar farm looks likely to be given approval near my QTH in north Anglesey soon.

I have submitted qualified support for the scheme, subject to best RFI suppression techniques being adopted, this more in resignation to the likelihood of approval rather than actually wanting a big solar farm next to me.

My question is: as there is a distinct possibility that RFI will increase in this otherwise quiet rural area, how best to gather evidence now, without my being an expert in RFI or electronics in general, to demonstrate any future increase?

All help appreciated.
  2. Peter Torry

Peter Torry New Member

Hello John,

I think that your best course of action will be to monitor the background noise levels at your site over a period to establish a baseline against which and changes can be refferred to.
  3. Peter Torry

Peter Torry New Member

Hello John,

The last post became truncated so hopefully this one will get through

I think that your best course of action will be to monitor the background noise levels on each amateur band of interest at your site over a period to establish a baseline against which and changes can be referred to. It may also be worth taking a reading at MF as interference to a broadcast band may carry more weight.

If you have access to an SDR then take screen shots or if not then note the s meter reading in a quiet part of each band. Take readings twice a day, say at midday and at 22:00 hrs so that you have a day / night comparison and should any issues arise from the solar farm in the future you can show the changes. Hopefully the solar farm should be quiet during darkness.

Lets hope the installation complies with all the essential requirements of the various directives.
    Peter
    G3SMT
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

The best move here John is to contact Dr David Lauder G0SNO dave@lauder.org.uk, he writes the EMC column in RadCom.

He along with the EMCC, is, and has been, looking closely at Wind Farms and can advise you on what line of attack to choose.

Ken
    G3SDW
    EMC Help Desk
    RSGB
  5. John Rowlands

John Rowlands New Member

Thanks for the advice from several quarters.

Yesterday, I made a series of daytime recordings with Spectrum Lab - the only way I have readily available to me - on each band, with full technical details of how and when it was done, so that it ought to be pretty robust as evidence. I'll take night time readings shortly.
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

OK John thats fine but have you contacted Dr David Lauder yet, this is so important, i am aware that you contacted John Rogers M0JAV, chair of the EMCC

If you feel you can go it alone then that is fine, but we are here to help

I have informed him that you are going to make contact.

Ken
    G3SDW
  7. John Rowlands

John Rowlands New Member

Ken, thanks for your advice. I haven't yet contacted David Lauder, but will do so today.

Might I politely suggest that contacts like this would be best going up the chain of command on their own, rather than having to contact several people individually?

Thanks.
    J.
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

John nt too sure what you mean by "contacts like this would be best going up the chain of command on their own, rather than having to contact several people individually".

My advice was to get in touch with David Lauder, he is at the top of the chain, what more do you want.

I am here to advise on such matters so who are all the others to contact?

My advise 1. Dr David Lauder, one person, who are the others?
    Ken
    G3SDW
  9. John Rowlands

John Rowlands New Member

Oh dear, Ken.

I take it you did see my opening words to that sentence: "Might I politely suggest..."?

My point was imply this: if a member enquires, as I did both here AND via the RSGB address directly, then why does that member have to receive two responses by e-mail, several here, and then make a direct application to 'the top'?

I did enquire with Dr. Lauder. I haven't (yet) received a response.

Not to worry. Other radio societies and modern equivalents that bypass anachronistic committee structures are available...
  10. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

"Might I politely suggest..."?

That is how i read it John and that is how i took it, thats not a problem.

By the way this is the RSGB, run by the RSGB for RSGB members and others.

What you want to do is entirely up to you, we are only here to help and advise.

Maybe when you get the answers you seek from other society`s then possibly you could update this forum.

Good luck

Ken
    G3SDW