HF interference on my ring main?

Discussion in 'Interference Problems' started by M6VWM, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

No problem mate use it either way.
  2. M6VWM

M6VWM Member

So glad to report I am far from quitting, I ended up on recommendation of moving on my 857d and getting a Icom 7300, what an amazing radio. The waterfall is really helping figure out the picture of what is happening noise wise and it seems to cope much better with the noise situation.

My home made inverted L is working an absolute treat, and over the weekend I literally quadrupled my contacts in one day. Even got to Australia and Thailand on wspr on 40m and Oman on ssb. Brilliant experience, I'm back to being hooked.

The new modem has reduced the noise such that there is always one band that seems to be low noise. 20m often is zero noise in the day, but occasionally goes up.

Top band has been very noisy, S9+10, effectively unusable most of the time, but I don't really use it so no big loss. 40m is usually about s5 now but has occasional spikes upto s9+ too. Ive had the radio on, watching the waterfall whilst working trying to see the transition. yesterday was a great example 15:49 exactly the noise changed from s5 to S9+10 in moments. At the same time 20m seemed to clear up. Very intriguing. I've also noticed the noise appeared over the weekend when it started raining too. I’ve also watched the streetlights come on and no change.

After discussions with my club, it has been suggested I get a PME impendence neutral - earth check at the meter.

FFEEAA18-F226-491E-9948-B718AB40D7E7.jpeg
  3. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Well done Matt, as i have said before today we all suffer to different levels and there are always multiples of locations causing RFI problems.

It is impossible t try t sort them out all at the same time, only one at a time being the only way.

The topic of station earthing is top of the most spoke about at the moment, not necessarily the answer but give it a try.

Dont get to reliant on your waterfall as it will not locate an RFI problem only show you what it looks like in amplitude and frequency, i get moaned at for thinking this way but that is my personal opinion and not adopted by others.

Keep in touch