Help identifying interference

Discussion in 'Interference Problems' started by G0OEY, Aug 29, 2018.

1. G0OEY

G0OEY New Member

I have some quite distinctive interference I need help with.

The video shows it best.

If anyone can identify it I would be grateful as I suspect its coming from the Church hall next door.

I am friendly with them so gaining access would not be a problem but any pointers would be gratefully appreciated.

I covers the complete HF spectrum but 17m shows it best.

2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Andy, thanks for posting here on the forum.

Your question asking to identify the problem of what it could be by just looking at your display is very unlikely, not a good way to find out what it could be.

Before you get any deeper you need to do one thing first assuming that you have not done it already and that is turn off your own mains supply and check to see if the problem is still there, this being the best thing to so initially, its quite astonishing what we generate our selves.

If you find that it is still there and you have good grounds to think it could be coming from this church and as you say you are on good terms with them then approach them and ask for there help in locating what it might be.

If it turns out that it is not them then get back to me here and will go a bit deeper.

Look forward to an update soon.
  3. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Andy, from just looking at your location i see that you are in the middle of the Church hall and a small block of flats.

Assuming that this problem is on 24/7 then it is more likely to be coming from the flats.

I feel that as it is a church hall then when it is vacated from meetings then it is powered down for safety reasons, you may know better.
  4. G0OEY

G0OEY New Member

Thanks ken.
    I'm going to have a wander around with my FT817 later and hopefully be able to narrow down the location.
    I'll update later.
  5. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

As long as you turn your own mains supply off first.

If you find it is still there then do a wander and when the signal increases then reduce the antenna until you can disconnect it all together and still hear the noise, then you will be on top of it.

Good luck,here at all times to help.
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Andy, just wondered how things are going and wondering if you have any conclusions as i am in the middle of writing up my bi monthly report?