EU WSPR data for 160m, 80m and 40m - Eclipse period

Discussion in 'Radio Propagation Questions' started by Steve Nichols G0KYA, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Steve Nichols G0KYA

Steve Nichols G0KYA Administrator

After a lot of head scratching and data crunching I now have a .CSV Excel file for the 160, 80 and 40m activity in Europe from 0800-1130 UTC on Friday 20th March 2015.

I had to take around half a Gigabyte of global data for the whole day and selectively crunch it down to a manageable file, which you can now download and use for your own research.

Using Excel's filter command, or the one in OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice, you can select any band, callsign or time to take a look at the signal-to-noise ratio of the received signals.

For example, below is a plot of every WSPR spot from G4JNT on 160m as received at GM4UBJ during the eclipse event. You can see that, once again, we see a peak around 09:30 and Andy's signals fade away by 09:54 and he is not spotted again. G4JNT.png

Feel free to use the file for your own analysis and research. And feed back any findings to this forum.

Note due to the limitations of the forum software I have had to ZIP it. Just Unzip this before importing it into Excel or whatever you use.

Regards, Steve G0KYA

Attached Files:

2. Tim K

Tim K Member

Based on work from John Toscano W0JT, I have taken my data from the wspr site and added conversion to latitude and longitude. This allows import into google fusion tables and heatmaps to be generated. If you generate a heatmap of all the stations that have received your transmission then filter by time in 2 or 4 minute windows, you get a great picture of how the propogation was changing. For the heat weighting I used the SNR level plus an offset to make it positive. There is a clear increase in stations receiving my signal during the eclipse window and an improvement in SNR when visualised this way. File attached if anyone wants the conversion - I used John's method but converted it to a single cell formula

Attached Files:

3. Steve Nichols G0KYA

Steve Nichols G0KYA Administrator

Have you got a link to the heat maps Tim? Steve G0KYA