Electrical Sub-Station issues

Discussion in 'Interference Problems' started by StephenB, Feb 1, 2018.

1. StephenB

StephenB New Member

Hello,

I've recently purchased a new MyDEL GP2500 antenna for use with my FT-840, I'm tight for space at home and this seemed the best option. I did have an HF5RV but it finally packed in after many years good service.

The problem I have is interference from an electrical sub-station which is literally a stones throw away from my garden, about 10 metres to be more accurate.

Can anyone suggest any remedies which might help reduce this nuisance?

Regards,

Steve GM4LHW
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

3. StephenB

StephenB New Member

Ken, first, apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
    I can't honestly 100% say that the transformer is to blame but I've tried powering off computers, TV and other appliances around the house to try and solve the annoying 'hiss' that is always there.
    I was just wondering if there was anything in the shack that I could do to at least try to reduce it but I really am at a loss for ideas, hence my post. Unfortunately moving the antenna isn't an option due to lack of space.

Steve
    GM4LHW
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Steve, by turning off individual items is not good enough, you must turn off your total mains supply at the main fuse box to prove you are not radiating any noise your self.
    Then monitor on a portable receiver, that way you can be totally sure it is not you.
    If you are on good terms with neighbours either side of you then maybe you could ask them to do the same.
    In your first post you said that you have replaced your antenna for a vertical as the old one had given up the ghost, did you have this problem when you was using that one? or are you saying that it was only there when you started using your vertical.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  5. StephenB

StephenB New Member

Ken, I'll give that a go and see how things are, neighbours could prove more of a challenge though. The old vertical had the problem too but I just lived with it, I've been QRT for some time having been working away from home and only set things up again a couple of weeks ago, when the new antenna arrived I used the same set up as before in the garden, mounted on a 3 foot scaffold pipe and fed by RG58 coax, this is approximately 30 feet in length, and runs to the front of the house where it is fed into the shack. It connects to an MJF 949-E tuner and into the FT-840. There are NO earth straps at present on this set up. I am also in the process of setting up a 40m-6m Magitenna long wire but have yet to decide on a suitable location. As I said, I'll try shutting off the power and see how it is.
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Yes Steve do the simple things first and get them out of the way, i must warn you though that if you neighbours are a problem and it turns out to be one of them then if they refuse to cooperate then you are stuck, no one in the world can, sadly, make them get involved, i am sorry to inform you of this and i know that it is not what you want to hear, but i always lie to put my cards on the table, but if you get to a stage that you can prove that it is the substation then the authority i gave you previously will get it sorted as there could be safety problems.

Keep in touch.
  7. StephenB

StephenB New Member

Ken, I understand completely. I'm grateful for your advice and if I have any success I'll drop a line. Thank you again.

8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

You are more than welcome Steve, always here to help at all times.