Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) - will I be able to continue with Amateur Radio?

Discussion in 'Investigations New Technology' started by Peter G3XMQ/F8VOM, May 23, 2018.

1. Peter G3XMQ/F8VOM

Peter G3XMQ/F8VOM New Member

Not sure if this is the right place but we'll start here. Recently - actually only last week - I underwent Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) here in France, where it is more common place than UK, for the relief of my Parkinson's symptoms and so far so good the stimulus is working and the pills are reduced. I however have a little concern that my interest in things Radio may be curtailed, the XYL will need persuading that this is not the case, as at least one of the American specs for the electrodes and controls aka "Pacemaker" talk about high powered Ham Radio stations as being a hazard. This hazard could presumably be to the equipment buried deep in me but and more seriously to my life. What's High Powered in th US eg kWs contrasted with my little 100W rig usually in some field or other is the issue. Are you able to shed any light on this issue with some facts rather than a blanket warning? This will be an issue for future medical interventions and maybe will become an area for further research. Hope this is not the wrong place to post but it seems that little advice is available on the subject. The external equipment is Medtronic model 37642
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Peter, thanks for using this forum, you need to contact Medtronic on customer.services.uk@medtronic.com

They are and should be the only one to give out advice that you require.

I had exactly the same questions that needed answering back in 2012 when i had one of there pacemakers fitted and they were most helpfull

Hope you get the answers that you require, i am sure you will.

One thing to remember is that it is the antenna that radiates RF not you rig and other than if the antenna is in the same room, which i doubt, then the feed point will be some way away from you, also i think handhelds will be out of the question.

Let us know how you get on.
  3. Peter G3XMQ/F8VOM

Peter G3XMQ/F8VOM New Member

Thanks Ken

Sitting here in the ward and catching up on my RADCOMs I was pondering on this and came to the conclusion that a handheld was probably not a good idea, but then I'm using a cell phone without a thought. I realise that a different frequency is involved but there must be resonances. I enjoy portable operation and I'll certainly ask the questions and let you know how I get on.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

OK Peter, hope everything goes to plan and you get home really soon, and what ever you do stol chasing the nurses lol
    Stay in touch.
    Ken G3SDW