4 meters 10 meters emc

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by sjm, Feb 11, 2018.

1. sjm

sjm New Member

Over the past months ive been getting an S9 carrier of noise the same as FM white noise, Not only on 4 meters my favourite band but also 10 and 12 meters, listening to any of these bands on ssb is impossible especially on fm as it goes S9 plus, So the chance of listening to long distance/possible contacts are out of the window, Unless any station is over an S9 im wasting my time almost to the point where i was on the verge of selling up, Ok ive done all the home tests, TV's. PC's, Phones, Virgin box's, fridges the lot, nothing from any of the household appliances, Due to having a bit of time of work due to flu i started noticing times this interference was coming and going, Now taking pen to paper and recording a log starts to narrow it down but to what????? Ok so the time ive logged for this interference are: every day bang on 10am it dissapears, Absolute gone S meter reading 0, Bang on 2pm everyday its back S9 carrier, Im no expert on these matters but it has been suggested that it maybe someones heating. Any info appreciated, Ofcom have also been informed.
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi and thanks for asking for help on the Interference Forum.

From what you say then it well might be something that uses a timer, and the most common thing, this time of year, is a central heating boiler.

You say that you have disconnected every thing in your house, this is not a fair test and before we can go any further then you will need to turn off the mains supply at the main breaker and check with a portable receiver.

How did you contact Ofcom? by phone or online?, either way what have they said about your problem.

You mentioned it being a carrier, how wide is it, what spacing has it, and how many are there on each band.

What sort of equipment do you use with what type of antenna connected to it.

Finally, and it is a question i do need to ask then are you a member of the RSGB and what is your name, call sign and QTH??
  3. sjm

sjm New Member

Hello ken, ive done the mains thing, using ft840 so connected via battery, Ther is no spacing on the carrier its constant across each band/s.
    Antenna G5RV, sirio CX64-4 meter vertical Sirio D27 10/12, I contacted ofcom via rsgb emc related problems, No not a member of the rsgb.
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

OK, so you are saying that you have a carrier all across each band, no gaps or spaces, are you sure it is a carrier?

You say you contacted Ofcom via RSGB related problems i do not understand what you mean by that as i am responsible for all EMC advice whether it be here or on the EMC Help Desk or direct to my email address, so any contact would come through me.

OK about not being a member of the RSGB, considering you are asking us for help would you consider joining?

Also you forgot to answer some of my questions like name call sign and QTH?
  5. sjm

sjm New Member

Yes ken its a constant carrier across the bands ive mentioned, No gaps, Ive filled out this form https://thersgb.org/services/surveys/emc/interference/
    Saying my problem would/maybe reported to ofcom although not all cases may go that far, Ive never been a member of the rsgb in the 30 years ive been licenced i also do not disclose any personal details, But in relation to radio matters is an hobby for all to share and experiment, I feel im under the obligation i must be a member of the rsgb to get help or give my call sign, I will probebly go direct through ofcom and get them out to check the problem..
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Well you by all means can contact Ofcom direct, but i will warn you that it is not quite that easy as they will make you jump through many hoops before they will even remotely make a visit.

I have never in all my years as a radio amateur heard of a carrier as wide as you have described, i can only think that it is not a carrier but just blanket noise which if it was a carrier would have a heterodyne of ridiculous proportions.

By all means you can withhold your details but it makes it more difficult for me to warrant giving you help in this matter.

Finally you say you have contacted the RSGB, fine but what you have done is contacted the link for VDSL survey which is an entirely different thing than you are experiencing, it gores direct to the chairman of the EMCC, who will pass it directly back to me.

Can you send me a sound clip of this carrier, first in AM mode, then in CW mode and then in SSB mode.

But i must say at the end of the day this service is provided by members like my self of the RSGB who volunteer there time and knowledge to help fellow amateurs and others but we have to ask , just to be fair, that with us giving help free of charge that they consider joining the society, i think that this is only fair dont you?
  7. sjm

sjm New Member

Went on to ofcom website last night to file a complaint via the correct online form, Very surprised they rang me shortly after especially being a sunday, They are going to investigate the source of interference, will keep you updated.
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

You are a very lucky guy Steve G0KXM, now we know who we are talking too.

Sometimes you are lucky to get a call back from Ofcom and the person phoning is a radio amateur who will appreciate your grief.

Have they given you a case number and what did they say will happen next?

One thing i cannot get my head round is the fact that you say you have a carrier on 4m the width of the band and the same on 10 and 12m as well, on 10m a carrier 2Mhz wide, it cannot be just a carrier.
  9. sjm

sjm New Member

No case number, Ive agreed terms conditions so an engineer will ring me to arrange a day and time, Thats what i cant get my head around either ken constant carrier right the way through the width of the band, Come 2pm and it will be back until 10am tomorrow morning, Thats my hobby gone for the evening, As i say unless anyone is over an S9 its impossible to talk to anyone FM or SSB.
    I may be lucky ken but i also have the rights for an investigation, Ive kept a good solid station for 30yrs, Taking care that i never cause problems to others and thats the way it will stay, never had one complaint since 1989, Really looking forward to finding out what the hell it is. Im flumaxed
  10. sjm

sjm New Member

Ok just this second got a case number via email. 00518908
  11. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Thats good Steve, you need that just in case you need to follow it up.

Dont build your hopes up to much as if they find its location then they are not obliged to tell you where it is due to data protection, they do not operate in the same way as RA did back along, also they do not have the powers to force the owner to have it put right, just hope they are sympathetic.

How are you with your direct neighbours, good i hope as they will hold the key to getting this sorted.

It does not matter how good you have been in the past with not causing any problem to your neighbours as today its them who should be thinking of us but they dont lol

Finally hope you use a Marshall amp in your band lol
  12. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

I will delete your report that you sent if that is OK.
  13. sjm

sjm New Member

Yes its ok to delete ken by any means, yes i have very good neighbours so thats a blessing, Yes im a big marshall fan ken i use the marshall DSL40c valve amp, Also bugera 120 german valve amp. Love me band.
  14. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Have a look on Wiki and read about the birth of Marshall, you might find it interesting.
  15. sjm

sjm New Member

Yes will take a look kens thanks, Ken just a question please, But have yet to do a test, My wife finds it very difficult to connect to the internet which is wifi, My friend also said its terrible to connect too, could this problem be related to the one ive got.
  16. sjm

sjm New Member

By the way ken i forgot to mention this interference is 20 hrs a day, incubation peroid is 10am until 2pm
  17. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Steve, well it all depends on your ISP and what your download speed is but for sure it has nothing to do with your problem.
    Keep in touch with regard to your Ofcom visit.
    Ken
    G3SDW