2 metre interference

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by G4XNG, Dec 6, 2017.

1. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Hi, my name is Andy and I live in Oldbury, West Midlands.

I have a problem with 2 metres, and a larger problem with OFCOM.

I suffer from interference, which is 24 hours a day. It sweeps from 144.3 to 145.3, and peaks at off the scale, to use a technical term. The carrier itself is in the form of a rapid pulsing, that is not frequency stable, ie the centre discriminator meter on radios jumps about, when I am tuned to the signal.
    A bit hard to describe, in effect it is up and down in strength, rapidly, it is up and down the band, altough not always going to the extremes. Centred on about 144.75.

I have little interest in HF, I get a constant S9 of crud all through, so have near enough given up on it.

This 2 metre interference is most definately antenna borne, and it affects every 2 metre RX I have, FT847, FT221, TS700, IC7000, and hf sets with transverters.

It may also be noted I live very close to a 24 hour a day petrol station, a pedestrian crossing, and 150 metres away from a telephone type junction box.

The "engineeers" at OFCOM seem to be reluctant to help, stating that the noise is not "harmful", whatever that means! The fact I cannot use half of a primary band seems to have by-passed their common sense.

Hopefully the link below will work.

https://youtu.be/PjD9NO3_vrw

Andy G4XNG/9H3XN
  2. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Also this is the effect on FM, stunning signals

3. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Andy Ofcom use this term of Harmful all the time it's a way they can eliminate home calls they they feel are not necessary.

First of all and I know you will find this rather odd but have you turned off your own mains supply and checked on a portable RX?

If you have done this then what else have you done to locate where this problem is located?

Ken G3SDW
  4. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Hello Ken,

I just feel like I am jumping through hoops with them, and the hoops are getting smaller the longer the case goes on.

I have isolated all of my house, and run the radio off a battery. The only thing I have not disconnected is the incoming Virgin Media line to the phone and router.
    I am 99% sure it is external to my property.

Andy
  5. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Sorry, didn't notice second bit.

As yet I have done nothing. I have access to an Icom R20, which may prove useful, as it has Spectrum display up to 100khz each side of centre. I live in a pretty built up area, with a bit off industry close by, so it may not be as simple as knocking on a few doors
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Well I suggest you do before we go any further.
    As for hoops then yes they do , have they been to visit you? if not how did you get in contact with them?
    Ken
    G3SDW
  7. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

This is what you need do as I am sure it will be closer t home than you think.
    Talk to your direct neighbour's but definitely d a walk about and keep the antenna as short as possible and as the noise starts to get stronger then reduce it until you can still hear it with no antenna at all, then you will be on to of it
    Ken
    G3SDW
  8. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Suggest I disconnect the phone line, or suggest I go walkabouts, or both?

Andy
  9. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Both but phone line first
    Ken
  10. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Disconnected feed for cable TV, no difference. Doing the phone line itself is going to be interesting, it utilises crimped connectors so I need to find a choccy block to re-attatch. Are phone lines from Cable companies known for it? And did you have any ideas off the video link Ken, if you watched it?

Andy
  11. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

No Andy I did not as today it could be just anything.
    I find that the only way is to locate it and you get to know what it is and that always is a total surprise.
    How are you with your neighbour's? as they are always key to sorting the problem out, problems like this are normally closer to home than you think.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  12. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Neighboours may be interesting!
    The daughter lives 2 doors away, and she tends to do as she is told, as she relies on the bank of dad most months.
    Between her and I is a halfway house for Asylum seekers, (seriously) so the incumbents can be Iraqi, Iranian, Afghan, and any one of about 10 other nationalites. we have little communication with them, mainly as they cannot understand Black Country......
    The other side is an Indian family, and in 4 years the only thing he has ever said to me is "morning" and "nice wehicle".
    2 doors away is a lady of Ghanaian extraction, who is fine. She has only been here a year, noise was before her.
    Finally 3 doors away is a couple with an on/off relationship. When she is skint he stays, when she has seen him for a couple of days he goes.

Pretty exciting territory this!
    On the whole we alll get on.
  13. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Just keep it that way, keep them sweet as it will be coming from one of there homes, you would be shocked at what things turn out to be.
    Up date me as and when
    Ken
    G3SDW
  14. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

We will see. I shall get the R20 at the weekend.
    I was told that pedestrian crossings are known to have sensing loops in the road that can radiate, have you experienced this Ken?
  15. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

No never heard of that at all that is a new one on me but nothing surprised me anymore.

Only today I heard of a problem where a mobile phone site was being knocked out which turned out to be a local smoke alarm which has local links on 868Mhz but was off frequency by 17Mhz which was interfering with the 800Mhz mobile phone site.

So that why i say nothing surprised me any more.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  16. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Well, some progress at the weekend.
    I borrowed an R20 handheld and went for a walk on Saturday night.
    The signal does seem to get stronger the closer I get tothe petrol station.
    I went to have a chat with the owner on Sunday, who denied being the owner.
    I attempted to explain the position, he most vocally told me it was not them, as they do not have a radio, accused me of threatening him, and ejected me from the premises.

However, I have also recieved an email from OFCOM, and given the evidence theey requested, have agreed to take on the case.

It all seems a lot of agro for a ferrite ring or two.

Are you aware of what powers OFCOM have against people who do not want to accept their findings?

ANdy
  17. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Sorry to say Andy that according to Ofcom they say that they do not have powers to take action, truth is they do but do not have the money to take on anything legal.

It's plain to see that this guy is the owner as just an employee would not say what he has done.

Just wait and see what happens next, the owner may well change his tune if Ofcom walk into his work place.

One thing I must say is that if the owner does not cooperate then end of story, as it would appear the he will hold the key to getting your problem sorted.

Let me know what happens next.

Ken
    G3SDW
  18. G4XNG

G4XNG New Member

Well there may still be hope, even if that is the case. He is the owner, but also under a franchise from one of the larger companies (Jet). I have emailed them, but as yet have not haad the courtesy of a reply.
    Time will tell Ken.
    Thanks for the input.
    I shall keep you informed
  19. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Your welcome Andy, I am always here to help.

Good move on talking to Jet, they have too much to lose to not listen

73 Ken
    G3SDW